adjacent vs. verbal 'only'

Nigel Vincent nigel.vincent at MANCHESTER.AC.UK
Sun Jun 14 10:08:52 UTC 2009

The French construction Martin mentions had occurred to me as well -
note that it also occurs in Italian and in a different variant in
Spanish. In connection with this construction, let me recommend the
excellent article by Kai von Fintel & Sabine Iatridou 'Anatomy of a
modal construction' Linguistic Inquiry 38 (2007), pp. 445-483, which
also brings in data from Greek and Hindi.
Nigel

--
Professor Nigel Vincent, FBA
Associate Vice-President for Graduate Education

PA: Louise Pemberton (louise.pemberton at manchester.ac.uk; 0161-275-2227)

Mailing address:     School of Languages, Linguistics & Cultures
                      University of Manchester
                      Manchester M13 9PL
                      United Kingdom

Tel (direct):        +44-(0)-161-275-3194
Fax:                 +44-(0)-161-275-3031