Post-doc position available (EuroBABEL project)
autotype at UNI-LEIPZIG.DE
Tue Jun 16 08:16:10 UTC 2009
The EuroBABEL project 'Referential Hierarchies in Morphosyntax' (RHIM)
is seeking a Research Associate in Linguistic Typology. The successful
candidate should have a PhD degree or equivalent in Linguistic
Typology or related field, experience in carrying out large scale
cross-linguistic grammar based research, familiarity with current
database technologies and corpus based methodologies and preferably
some experience in fieldwork on endangered languages. The candidate
must have a good record of disseminating research findings in both
written and oral form and be prepared to work as part of an
international team of researchers
The first two years of the project will be based at the department of
Linguistics and English Language, Lancaster University (Professor Anna
Siewierska), the third year at the Department of Linguistics,
University of Leipzig (Professor Balthasar Bickel). The post will
require a good deal of travel within these places and within the RHIM
network in general.
- A PhD in Linguistic Typology or related field.
- A thorough understanding of cross-linguistic language data
collection and storage.
- Experience in analysis and interpretation of cross-linguistic morpho-
syntactic and discopurse data.
- Effective computer software and hardware skills.
- Experience of quantitative research such as study design, managing
projects, quality assuring and analysing data.
- Effective interpersonal and communication skills, including writing
to a high standard, working effectively within a team, document
preparation for collaboration technical notes and journal papers.
- Ability and willingness to be involved in regular international
- Preparation of new studies including submissions for grants,
obtaining external agreements such as ethical approval.
- Good publications record i.e. including research publications in
- Some experience in carrying out fieldwork on endangered languages.
Closing Date: 27 June
Interviews: week of 13 July
Expected start date: 1 September
To apply or request further information online, please visit
For further information, you can also contact Anna Siewierska <a.siewierska at lancaster.ac.uk
More information about the Lingtyp