New book published: 'Basic Linguistic Theory', R M W Dixon

Alexandra Aikhenvald a.y.aikhenvald at LIVE.COM
Sun Oct 25 11:36:09 UTC 2009

JUST PUBLISHED

R. M. W. Dixon, Basic Linguistic Theory
Vol 1: Methodology, xvi, 381 pp.
Vol 2: Grammatical topics, xvii, 489 pp.
Each volume AUD $65 paperback (also available in hardback).

Described by the publisher, Oxford University Press as follows:
'Basic Linguistic Theory is the triumphant outcome of a lifetime's thinking about every manifestation of language and linguistic fieldwork. It is a one-stop text for undergraduate and graduate students of linguistics,, as well as for those in neighbouring disciplines sch as psychology and anthropology.'

N. J. Enfield, Max Plank Institute for Psycholinguistics, Nijmegen:
'Destined to be a modern classic.'

Lise M. Dobrin, University of Virginia:
'A refreshingly common-sense approach to linguistic analysis.'

Martin Haspelemath, Max Plank Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology, Leipzig:
'A monumental achievement. Virtually without precedent in the field of linguistics'.

Contents of Volume 1 — Methodology
1 Basics   1
2 Principles to follow   77
3 Grammar overview   127
4 Analysis, argumentation and explanation   245
5 Terminology   287
6 Doing typology   325
7 Phonology   354
8 Lexicon   388
9 Field linguistics   415

Contents of Volume 2 — Grammatical topics
10 Grammatical word and phonological word   1
11 Distinguishing noun and verb   51
12 The adjective class   85
13 Transitivity   156
14 Copula clauses and verbless clauses 215
15 Pronouns and demonstratives 253
17 Relative clause constructions 409
18 Complement clauses and complementation strategies   483

Alexandra Y. Aikhenvald, PhD, DLitt, FAHA
Professor and Research Leader (Peoples and Societies of the Tropics)
The Cairns Institute
James Cook University
PO Box 6811
Cairns