I received very few answers on definition of TYPOLOGY

Yuri Tambovtsev yutamb at MAIL.RU
Sun Jan 17 21:35:14 UTC 2010

Dear Typology colleagues, I am surprised. I received very few answers on definition on typology. Is it too trivial? At the same time it is quite obvious that many linguists have quite different understanding what typology is. I thought it is important to discuss this global problem on the Lingtyplist since everyday we discuss here the minute problems of typology. How is it possible to discuss anything in the branch of linguistics which is not properly defined? It is an enigma for me. Anyway, I am going to sum up the few answers which I received and publish it on this Lingtyplist. I am still looking forward to receiving you definitions of typology to yutamb at mail.ru  Remain yours sincerely Yuri Tambovtsev