Query on analytic causative verbs

André Müller esperantist at GMAIL.COM
Wed Mar 28 23:51:04 UTC 2012

Dear Suzanne,
You might also want to have a look at Thai, e.g. the grammar by David
Smyth, or the "Thai Reference Grammar" by James Higbie & Snea Thinsan. In
the latter there are some useful examples and explanations on pages
137-139, like for instance:

(1) ผมให้เขาไปซื้ของ
pʰǒm           hâj  kʰáw    paj  sɯ́ː  kʰɔ̌ːŋ
1SG.MASC give 3.HUM go   buy  thing
'I had him go and buy something.'

There are some more examples of this in the book. A more common way to form
causative constructions in Thai, though, is with a serial verb construction
involving ทำให้ [tʰam hâj], literally "make give". There, ให้ [hâj] (give)
usually introduces the beneficient, or maleficient, as in the following
example (from a book I am reading):

(2) เรื่องราวเกี่ยวกับข้อมูลทำให้เราเวียนหัวได้เสมอ
rɯ̂ːaŋraːw kìːaw               kàp  kʰɔ̂ːmuːn  tʰam   hâj   raw   wiːan
hǔːa   dâːj  sàmɤ̌ː
story        be_concerned  with  data        make  give  1PL  spin    head
can  always
'Stories about (these) data can always make our heads spin.'

I'm not sure if this last example might be useful for you. Anyways, any
Thai grammar should have something about ให้ [hâj] 'to give', which can be
used as an causativizer.

Best wishes,
- André Müller
(University of Leipzig)