Query on analytic causative verbs

John Newman john.newman at UALBERTA.CA
Thu Mar 29 00:12:28 UTC 2012

In my own research on GIVE verbs, I don't work with logician's definitions
of "strict causation" but I do distinguish a "manipulative" kind of
causative from a "pure" causative. "Manipulative" here means that person A
in some way manipulates person (or animate entity)  B to do something or to
be in a new state.

When I was collecting examples of causative uses of GIVE for my research
some years ago, I wasn't ever satisfied that a usage was non-manipulative
until I found an example where there was no possibility of any
interpersonal interaction. So, the Jacaltec example "the sun made the
clothes dry" made it into my category of a "pure" causative extension of a
GIVE verb, but many other causative examples didn't because of the
possibility of construing them only as manipulation of an animate.

John