Query on analytic causative verbs

Timur Maisak timur.maisak at GMAIL.COM
Thu Mar 29 06:49:51 UTC 2012

Dear Suzanne,
causative construction with 'give' is also found in East Caucasian language
Kryz (aka Kryts), cf. Authier 2009: 305-307, where it is called
"factitive". The construction is used with transitive verbs; the verb has
the infinitive form, the causer is in the ergative (-E). 'Do' is used as a
causative auxiliary with intransitive verbs (which take the form of verbal
adjective, -A). Cf. an example with the GIVE-causative from the
DO-causative:

a-n-ir    a-n-van        q’usi             vu-b-tal-a        v-ar-iz
 vu-du
3-H-E   3-H-ADR     craddle.F    PV-F-rock-A  F-do-INF   give-AOR.F
Il/elle lui a fait balancer le berceau.
(Authier, Gilles. 2009. Grammaire Kryz (langue caucasique d’Azerbaïdjan,
dialecte d’Alik). Paris: Peeters.)

Some examples of GIVE > CAUSATIVE grammaticalization path are also given in
Heine & Kuteva's "World Lexicon of Grammaticalization".

Timur Maisak

Institute of Linguistics, Russian Academy of Sciences
http://lingvarium.org/maisak/

28 марта 2012 г. 21:12 пользователь Wolfgang Schulze <