Reduplication

Francesca Di Garbo francescadigarbo at GMAIL.COM
Mon Mar 4 08:49:42 UTC 2013

Dear Scott and dear All,

As far as we now, the most common source of diminutive affixes
crosslinguistically is the noun for "child" (Jurafsky 1996). This
usually starts being used as a sort of classificatory noun to refer to
the young age of animate entities and gets gradually extended to
inanimate nouns where it marks small size with countable nouns and small
quantity with uncountable. Interestingly, there is no evidence for
affixal diminutives to derive from modifiers meaning "small'. On the
other hand, the diachronic development of diminutive reduplication is
very difficult to pin down, considering its intertwinment with other
grammatical functions (plurality, distributivity, attenuation etc.). It
would be interesting to investigate if the notion of /fragmentation
/used by Alex to make sense of the polysemy of reduplication in Mwotlap
is also applicable on the diachronic level. Also, it would be
interesting to see how common reduplicative patterns for diminutive
marking are across other Creoles (which I don't have any clue about).

As for the second point under discussion (whether on not diminutives can
express only size):
Synchronically, diminutives express evaluation of quantity (SMALL) and
quality (BAD or GOOD) and, as Paul points out, the two components are
not easy to tell apart when analysing the semantics of a diminutive
affix. However, as Östen's example suggests, it happens that the use of
a diminutive marker gets restricted to the encoding of size variation
only. I have the impression that this is very likely to happen in
languages with several different diminutive (and possibly augmentative)
affixes, where the different markers show different distributional
properties in terms of the meanings encoded. The Bantu languages are an
excellent illustration in this respect as the examples from Yeyi show.
Bantu languages (and other Niger-Congo languages with rich noun class
systems as the Atlantic languages) often have several noun classes which
are used to encode evaluative (diminutive and augmentative) meanings.
Interestingly, besides the range of uses pointed out by Frank with
respect to Yeyi, different diminutive classes in one language may
specialize in the encoding of different size nuances (small vs. tiny) as
in the example below from Lega, where class 12 expresses small size and
class 19 tiny size:

(7.3) Lega (Bantu) (Botne, 2003, p.430)

(a) mu-ntu
cl1-person
“person”
(b) *ka*-ntu
*cl12*-person
“small person”
(c)*si̹*-ntu
*cl19*-person
“tiny person”

Similarly, in those Bantu languages which have both diminutive noun
classes and diminutive suffixes, the two can co-occur on the same noun
to express tiny size, as in the examples from Venda given below. Here
the noun class 7 is used (among other things) to derive diminutive
nouns; when the diminutive noun class and the diminutive suffix
co-occur, the resulting meaning is 'tiny size'ː

(7.13) Diminutive marking in Venda (Bantu) (Poulos, 1990, p.88)

(a) tshi-kali
*cl7-*clay.pot
“small clay pot”
(b) tshi-kal-*ana*
*cl7-*clay.pot.*DIM*
“very small clay pot”

No endearing or derogatory meanings are implied in such cases.

References
Botne, R. (2003). Lega (Beya dialect) (d25). In D. Nurse & G. Philippson
(Eds.), The Bantu languages (pp. 422–449). London: Routledge.
Jurafsky, D. (1996). Universal tendencies in the semantics of the
diminutive. Language,
72, 533–578.
Poulos, G. (1990). A linguistic analysis of Venda. Pretoria: Via Afrika
Limited.

Best wishes,
Francesca Di Garbo (Stockholm University)