accusative + analytical DO markers

Sergey Lyosov sergelyosov at INBOX.RU
Sun May 26 11:19:09 UTC 2013

Dear Paolo,
yes, this is correct, but the noun of these Romance varieties lost its inflection for case long ago. It is clear that both Standard Spanish and  South Italian developed their famous  He visto  a   Maria/ Ho visto  a   Maria  after the loss of cases.
You say:
The use of DOM is subject to certain constraints: the OBJ has to be [+human] or, at least, [+anim],[+definite] etc.
  I believe the  [+definite] constraint does not apply at least to Spanish.
  With all best wishes,
  Sergey
Воскресенье, 26 мая 2013, 11:53 +02:00 от Paolo Ramat <paoram at UNIPV.IT>:
>Dear All,
>DOM as obligatory marking of Direct Object (DO) is a well-known feature of
(South)Italian dialects and other Romance varieties (e.g. Catalan)
>I wouldn’t consider Ich gehe durch den Gang as an ex. of DO. As
Sergey rightly states, we have here a PP  specifying the notion of
‘gehen’.
>But when you have  Ho visto  a Maria ‘I saw Mary’
instead of standard Italian  Ho visto Maria, Catal .  les monges     no estimen  a les
nenes    ‘the nuns
don’t lik the girls’,  a is a real DO marker
and the construction is Nomin./Accus. The use of DOM is subject to certain
constraints: the OBJ has to be [+human] or, at least, [+anim],[+definite]
etc.
dell’oggetto in siciliano antico.    Arch.
Glottol. Ital. 94: 185-    225;  Iemmolo, Giorgio and Gerson Klumpp (in preparation).  Differential
Object Marking: theoretical and empirical issues . Special issue of  Linguistics .

>All
best
>Paolo

Ewa,
>thanks
a lot!
>Your
Polish example is as follows:

>-           zaatakować   ‘attack, assault’ + NPACC
>-           napaść   ‘attack, assault’ + preposition   na   with a NPACC (a grammaticalized
allative construction).
>The
cognate Russian verbs have the same government:
>atakovat'
‘attack, assault’ + NPACC
>napast'  ‘attack, assault’ + preposition   na   with a NPACC
>
>Our
colleague Scott T. Shell suggests me (within this thread) a similar
example from
>German:
>
>Den
Mann    habe
ich
gesehen.
>DEF.ACC
man      AUX   1SG.NOM
saw
>'I say
the man.'

>Ich
gehe   durch
den
Gang
>1SG.NOM
go       through  DEF.ACC
hallway
>'I go
through the hallway.'
>  Yet neither
Polish/Russian  na nor German durch
are Direct Object Markers pure and simple, they both retain their meanings as
lative/locative prepositions. What I am looking for is a “pure” and (under
certain conditions) obligatory Direct Object Marker (like `et in Hebrew) which
synchronically has no other (more concrete) meanings. I wonder if this kind of
DOM is at all compatible with ACC (which would amount to double marking of the
Direct Object).
>I will
address your Coptic example in the next email.

All best,

Sergey

<E.D.Zakrzewska at uva.nl>:
>>Dear
  Sergey,

  good example is Polish, compare:
>>-           zaatakować ‘attack, assault’ + NPACC
>>-           napaść ‘attack, assault’ + preposition  na  with a NPACC (a grammaticalized
  allative construction).

>>Another
  example may be Coptic (Afroasiatic, the final stage of Ancient Egyptian). In
  Coptic there are two strategies to mark the direct object: head-marking and
  dependent-marking. Head-marking involves the use of the so-called  construct
  or pronominal state allomorph of the verb to which a nominal, respectively
  pronominal direct object is attached. When the verb appears in the absolute
  state allomorph,  dependent-marking
  of the object by means of a preposition is required. Several prepositions can
  occur in this function, of which  n- (dedicated preposition) and  e- (grammaticalization of the allative) are most important.
>>Basic
  information about Coptic grammar can be found in  Reintges
  C.H.,  Coptic Egyptian (Sahidic dialect): a learner's grammar ,  Köln:
  Köppe, 2004. I’m currently working on a comprehensive article on transitivity
  in Coptic, to be published in the  Proceedings of the 10th International
  Congress of Coptic Studies in Rome and I can send you a copy soon.

>>Best
  regards,
>>Ewa
  Zakrzewska

  19:35
>>To: LINGTYP at listserv.linguistlist.org
>>Onderwerp: accusative + analytical DO markers
>>
>>Dear colleagues,
>>Do we know of languages that have both the accusative
  case and analytical direct object markers (pre- or postpositions)?
>>Lots of thanks,
>>Sergey
>>Dr. Sergey Loesov
>>Oriental Institute