Coding of Causer and Causee; Causative Psych Verbs

Chao Li chao.li at AYA.YALE.EDU
Sat Sep 27 17:04:26 UTC 2014

I appreciate your taking the time to think about and respond to my inquiry.
The two examples make me wonder about two things. First, is 'fear' in the
second example really lexically causative? Second, if intentionality is a
relevant factor, would a form analogous to the first example be unable to
be used to express 'The scarecrow frightened the sparrows'?

Thanks again,
Chao