[Lingtyp] European Commission on authorship transfer agreements

Martin Haspelmath haspelmath at shh.mpg.de
Tue Dec 22 17:48:37 UTC 2015

Sorry if there was a misunderstanding: I meant to talk about the general
case, using LT only as an illustration. And of course we shouldn't cite
"strategically", but scientifically.

However, it's an economic fact that if a commercially owned journal is
prestigious, it will be more profitable – regardless of whether the
income is from subscriptions or from author fees. "Nature" will be able
to charge authors much higher fees (in a future open-access author-pays
world), and likewise LT will be able to charge higher fees than less
renowned journals
<http://www.frank-m-richter.de/freescienceblog/2012/10/30/the-prestige-of-the-publishers-brand-name-an-underestimated-factor-in-science-book-publication-costs/>,
independently of the costs to the publisher.

De Gruyter is not in an enviable position, because they are struggling
to survive in a world of increasing concentration of publishing giants,
and they have my sympathies.

But since there is no real competition, journal titles should not be
owned privately, but should be under the control of the scholars, so
that the profit from a successful journal is not reaped by those who
merely provide the technical infrastructure.

Since Frans didn't comment on this aspect: I seriously wonder whether
the title "Linguistic Typology" is now owned by De Gruyter, so that ALT
basically has no choice but to stick with De Gruyter. This is a real
question, because as far as I am aware, the Societas Linguistica
Europaea (SLE) gave away its rights to the title in return for better
conditions, so that SLE is now basically providing content for "Folia
Linguistica" for De Gruyter, rather than De Gruyter publishing "Folia
Linguistica" for SLE. I hope that De Gruyter is still publishing
"Linguistic Typology" for ALT, so that its new editor can switch to a
better publisher if necessary (maybe Ubiquity Press?, cf.
(Lingua>)Glossa's new setup: http://www.glossa-journal.org/about/)

Martin