[Lingtyp] query: 'give' and 'do'/'make'

David Gil gil at eva.mpg.de
Wed Feb 18 10:34:57 UTC 2015

Marcel,

The Hebrew verb "n-t-n" ('give') is grammaticalized (as in your example)
as a permissive, a path of grammaticalization that is quite common
cross-linguistically.  But it doesn't mean 'do', or 'make' (except to
the extent that English "make" can be used as a causative, which is
somewhat akin to the permissive).

Also, to the best of my (limited) knowledge of Russian, the idiomatic
use of "davaj" does not mean 'do' or 'make'.

David

Email: gil at eva.mpg.de
Webpage:  http://www.eva.mpg.de/~gil/