[Lingtyp] uses of first plural exclusive pronouns

Bill Palmer bill.palmer at newcastle.edu.au
Tue Jun 23 12:38:26 UTC 2015

Dear Kilu

I’m pretty sure I’ve seen this in a few Meso-Melanesian languages, though I can’t bring to mind off hand which ones. I’ll try to have a look and post again. It’s hard to say why this happens, but I suspect that they are collapsing into a non-3rd person category. I suspect that 1incl is not involved because that category is a little more complex than simply a group of individuals including one or other of the SAPs.

best
Bill