[Lingtyp] uses of first plural exclusive pronouns

David Gil gil at eva.mpg.de
Tue Jun 23 15:52:24 UTC 2015

Zach,

Not exactly what you're looking for, but in the same ballpark, some
colloquial varieties of Malay/Indonesian offer a partial identity
between 3rd person plural and 1st person plural exclusive.  The partial
identity is based on the strategy of combining a pronoun with the common
noun 'orang' (person).  In several dialects PRO-orang (sometimes
subsequently reduced) forces a plural interpretation on a pronoun that
is otherwise singular or unmarked for number.  And in a subset of those
dialects, 1PL.INCL-orang derives a 1st person exclusive pronoun.  Thus,
3rd person and 1st exclusive, although not completely identical, share
the common element 'orang'.

For example, in colloquial Kuala Lumpur Malay:

kita - 1PL.INCL
dia - 3SG

kita orang - 1PL.EXCL
dia orang - 3PL

Best,

David

--
David Gil

Department of Linguistics
Deutscher Platz 6, D-04103 Leipzig, Germany

Telephone: 49-341-3550321 Fax: 49-341-3550333
Email: gil at eva.mpg.de
Webpage:  http://www.eva.mpg.de/~gil/