[Lingtyp] Seats of emotions: experiencer pronouns, body-part collocations and similar

Kilu von Prince watasenia at gmail.com
Mon Jun 29 07:05:06 UTC 2015

Hi Ruth,

thanks! Maia sent me her manuscript and I'm definitely going to devour it.
The reason I was asking is that I found in Daakaka that these idiomatic
phrases for emotions and mental states can be nominalized by a specific
process that is interesting and exceptional in a number of ways. Most
importantly, these nominalizations are exocentric, the meaning of the whole
phrase does not denote a subset of the meaning denoted by the head noun. A
very clear example comes from an expression that does not denote an
emotion, but follows the exact same patterns as those terms:
`nosebleed' literally means `the dripping nose', but is obviously not just
a special kind of nose, and there are sentences such as `there was a lot of
nosebleed in his nose'.

I was wondering how other languages solved the dilemma of nominalizing a
meaning that is only encoded by a complex phrase rather than a single verb
lexeme. It is well possible, as you suggest, that some languages simply
avoid nominal reference to the corresponding meanings.

Best regards,
Kilu