[Lingtyp] Seats of emotions: experiencer pronouns, body-part collocations and similar

m.chumakina at surrey.ac.uk m.chumakina at surrey.ac.uk
Mon Jun 29 22:37:57 UTC 2015

Dear Kilu,

Caucasian languages have been mentioned before, I just want to add the body part (or, more precisely, body liquid) which as far as I could see hasn’t been mentioned yet. In Archi, a Nakh-Daghestanian (North-East Caucasian) language, ‘gall’ is used to express anger:

buwa-n                               sːam                   b-oχːo
mother(ii)-sg.gen              gall(iii)[sg.abs] iii.sg-rise.pfv
‘Mother got angry’ (lit.: ‘Mother’s gall rose’)

Answering your second question, the noun sːam ‘gall’ is also  used as a noun meaning ‘anger’.

Best regards,
Marina