[Lingtyp] fear + NEG

Kofi Yakpo kofi at hku.hk
Thu Mar 19 15:30:22 UTC 2015

Dear colleagues,

*fear* + negation of the complement clause verb is common in all more
basilectal varieties (i.e. more African-adstrate influenced varieties) of
the Afro-Caribbean English-lexifier Creoles of West Africa that I am
familiar with (Nigerian Pidgin, Cameroon Pidgin, Pichi, Krio). I am sure
that a survey of West African languages of diverse genetic affiliations
would show that this structure is widespread in other (non-Creole) African
languages of the West African linguistic area. An example from Pichi
(Equatorial Guinea) follows. Note that the complement clause is in the
subjunctive mood (expressed via the presence of a subjunctive
complementizer and the absence of tense marking in the complement clause),
similar to the use of subjonctif in French:

à          dè       fià      se       mek     è          no       kan
      tùmarà.

1sg.sbj ipfv      fear   quot    sbjv      3sg.sbj neg     come     tomorrow

‘I fear that he will come tomorrow/ lest he should tomorrow.’

quot = quotative marker/indicative complementizer

sbjv = subjunctive (deontic force) complementizer

Low tones: grave accent, High tones: unmarked

More acrolectal varieties (i.e. influenced by West African Standard
Englishes) look much more like English, and something like the following
example from Ghanaian Pidgin English. Here there is no subjunctive mood and
(future) tense marking in the complement clause

à           dè    fiɛ̀     se       ì            gò        kam
tùmɔrò

1sg.sbj ipfv    fear  quot    3sg.sbj  fut       come   tomorrow

‘I fear that he will come tomorrow/ lest he come tomorrow.’

Cheers,

Kofi
————
dr kofi yakpo • academia.edu <https://hku-hk.academia.edu/KofiYakpo> •
the-linguist.net • scholars hub <http://hub.hku.hk/cris/rp/rp01715>
assistant professor • postgraduate coordinator
linguistics • the university of hong kong