[Lingtyp] comparative concepts

Edith A Moravcsik edith at uwm.edu
Fri Jan 22 15:33:35 UTC 2016

Dear Eitan (and All),

Thank you for your thoughts. There is a lot in your message to think about but let me just get back to the question of whether, say, French adjectives and Italian

ones do or - as you say- do not form the same descriptive category. By what definition of the concept "descriptive category" is this so? What would French and Italian adjectives have to look like in order for us to be able to class them as members of the same descriptive category? Is this an empirical issue, or should we adopt a principle

by which constructions of different languages can never be members of the same descriptive category? If the latter, why should we adopt such a principle?

Best,

Edith