[Lingtyp] Americanist contributions to typology

David Gil gil at shh.mpg.de
Tue Jul 5 05:30:22 UTC 2016

Dear all,

While I agree wholeheartedly with those who have proposed the notion of
polysynthesis as constituting one of the central contributions of
Amerindian languages to linguistic typology, I am also sympathetic with
Martin Haspelmath's observations about how the the notion of
polysynthesis relies on an often poorly understood notion of wordhood,
and I do not accept Claude Hagége's claim that that the abundance of
typological studies of polysynthesis may be construed as somehow "giving
the lie" to Martin's reservations.  On the contrary, I would say that
one of the major contributions of Amerindian languages to linguistic
typology, via the so-called polysynthetic languages, is precisely the
challenge that they pose to the traditional notion of word, as discussed
in recent work by Martin and others.

David Gil

On 05/07/2016 02:18, Marianne Mithun wrote:
> Note on polysynthesis.
>
> The Oxford Handbook of Polysynthesis is now in press, slated to appear
> early next year. A major thrust of the volume is the question of
> whether polysynthesis is an identifiable and/or useful type, whether
> there are sufficient or necessary features and what they might be,
> whether languages can be more or less polysynthetic, whether core
> polysynthetic languages tend to show other structural features, etc.
>
> There are general chapters on polysynthesis and complexity,
> polysynthesis and holophrasis (in the sense of all crucial parts of
> the predication specified within the verb, including core arguments),
> the limits of polysynthesis, the nature of the lexicon in
> polysynthetic languages, different theoretical perspectives on
> polysynthesis, the nature of the word in polysynthetic languages
> (phonological and morphological challenges), social circumstances
> stimulating the development and retention of polysynthesis, etc. There
> are also chapters on the diachrony of polysynthesis, the acquisition
> of polysynthetic languages, areal perspectives on polysynthesis
> (geographical hotbeds), and chapters on individual languages that have
> been characterized as polysynthetic, in which authors weigh the
> various criteria that have been proposed for polysynthesis to see
> whether they add up to a definable type.
>
> Marianne
>

> On 7/4/2016 7:07 AM, Claude Hagège wrote:
>>
>> Hi  everyone,
>>
>>         I’d like to stress that, after the  monographs on Nahuatl
>> written in the XVIth and XVIIth centuries by, among others, Alonso de
>> Molina, Andres de Olmos, or on Guarani by Luis de Montoya, work on
>> incorporation and polysynthesis, became more and more important in
>> Europe due to  the discovery of these morphosyntactic features by
>> Pierre du Ponceau, who invented these technical terms, first applying
>> them to Nahuatl, and thus showing what outstanding contributions
>> Amerindian languages were able to make to language studies. There is,
>> therefore, a tradition referring to the study of these
>> characteristics, and this went as far as prompting linguists to add
>> the polysynthetic type to Schlegel’s and Humboldt’s famous three
>> types, to wit isolating, agglutinative and inflectional, which, long
>> before Greenberg, laid the foundations of linguistic typology. This
>> research tradition on polysynthesis and incorporation is illustrated
>> by many works, giving the lie, by the way, to Martin’s  assertion
>> that “these terms have no clear definition in typology, because they
>> rely on the notion of word”. Among such works, there are for example,
>> if I may mention them,
>>
>> -CH, « Lexical suffixes and incorporation in Mainland Comox », /Forum
>> Linguisticum/, Vol. 3, n°1, August 1978, 57-71.
>>
>> -CH,  « On noun incorporation in universal grammar (further comments
>> on a previous article) », /Forum Linguisticum,/ Vol. 4, n°3,
>> Apr. 1980, 241-245.

> [...]

David Gil

Department of Linguistic and Cultural Evolution
Max Planck Institute for the Science of Human History
Kahlaische Strasse 10, 07745 Jena, Germany

Email: gil at shh.mpg.de
Office Phone (Germany): +49-3641686834
Mobile Phone (Indonesia): +62-82238009215