[Lingtyp] Americanist contributions to typology

Martin Haspelmath haspelmath at shh.mpg.de
Tue Jul 5 05:56:53 UTC 2016

One of the contributions to the "Oxford handbook of polysynthesis" will
be Balthasar Bickel's & Fernando Zúñiga's paper "The "word in
polysynthetic languages: Phonological and syntactic challenges" (which
is mostly based on data from Chintang and Mapudungun)
http://www.ivs.uzh.ch/bickel-files/papers/polysynthetic_wordsBickelZuniga2016_v3.pdf

Here is an excerpt from their conclusion:

"Polysynthetic "words" are often not unified entities defined by a
single domain on which all criteria would converge. They tend to be
non-coherent in one way or another... But then, it is important to note
that this is byno means a peculiarity of polysynthesis: languages
generally tend to avoid fully convergent, unified word entities.”

Thus, it is not clear in what way “polysynthesis” is special, and
whether the notion can survive (but I have not seen the other
contributions to the handbook yet).

Martin

--
Martin Haspelmath (haspelmath at shh.mpg.de)
Max Planck Institute for the Science of Human History