[Lingtyp] Question on reduplication for translative sense

Randy John LaPolla (Prof) RandyLaPolla at ntu.edu.sg
Thu Jun 16 10:07:12 UTC 2016

Thanks very much to Anvita Abbi, Giorgio Arcodia, David Beck, Guillaume Jacques, Geoffrey Khan and Zygmunt Frajzyngier for helpful replies to my question about the use of reduplication for a translative meaning. The replies are all given below. It seems from some of the replies, and my own sense of Rawang, that the key function is adverbialisation.

Randy

Begin forwarded message: