[Lingtyp] PASSIVE AND TENSE

Martin Haspelmath haspelmath at shh.mpg.de
Wed Aug 2 16:02:04 UTC 2017

A closely related claim, namely that passive is associated with perfect,
has been made by Comrie (1981), with a semantic explanation. I took this
up in Haspelmath (1994), with some limited statistical evidence. There
may well be subsequent work, but I have not followed voice typology
closely in the last two decades.

Best,
Martin

***********************
Comrie, Bernard. 1981. Aspect and voice: Some reflections on perfect and
passive. In Philip J Tedeschi & Annie Zaenen (eds.), /Tense and aspect/,
65--78. (Syntax and Semantics 14). New York: Academic Press.

Haspelmath, Martin. 1994. Passive participles across languages. In: Fox,
Barbara & Hopper, Paul J. (eds.) /Voice: Form and function/.
(Typological Studies in Language, 27.) Amsterdam: Benjamins, 151-177.
DOI: 10.1075/tsl.27.08has [zenodo
<https://zenodo.org/record/227097#.WGj70fMmlFk>]

On 02.08.17 10:24, Sergey Lyosov wrote:

> Dear colleagues,
>
> Are you aware of discussions regarding temporal anchoring of Passive:
> has it been claimed that Passive is easier associated with Past than
> Future? I.e., that Passive is statistically more common in Past than
> in Future (and perhaps Present). If yes, are there explanations of this?
>
> Sergey

Martin Haspelmath (haspelmath at shh.mpg.de)
Max Planck Institute for the Science of Human History
Kahlaische Strasse 10
D-07745 Jena
&
Leipzig University