[Lingtyp] Typology of speaker attitude expressions?

Randy J. LaPolla randy.lapolla at gmail.com
Tue Jun 27 04:24:27 UTC 2017

Dear Emily,
This has been talked about extensively by Michael Halliday and his followers, as part of the interpersonal metafunction of the clause (sometimes dealt with under “appraisal”). I don’t know of any specific works contrasting different languages, but there are a number of descriptions of language using Halliday’s approach, and they would necessarily touch on this aspect. You could check
http://www.isfla.org/Systemics/Bibliographies/index.html <http://www.isfla.org/Systemics/Bibliographies/index.html>

or write to Jim Martin <jmartin at usyd.edu.au <mailto:jmartin at usyd.edu.au>>, who would be on top of work in this area. He himself has worked on Tagalog in this regard.

Randy
-----
Randy J. LaPolla, PhD FAHA (羅仁地)| Professor of Linguistics and Chinese | Nanyang Technological University
HSS-03-45, 14 Nanyang Drive, Singapore 637332 | Tel: (65) 6592-1825 GMT+8h | Fax: (65) 6795-6525 | http://randylapolla.net/
Most recent book:
https://www.routledge.com/The-Sino-Tibetan-Languages-2nd-Edition/LaPolla-Thurgood/p/book/9781138783324