[Lingtyp] Any references on temporal relative clauses

Randy J. LaPolla randy.lapolla at gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 08:19:14 UTC 2018

Dear Adam,
I often avoid the term “relative clause” in talking about Sino-Tibetan languages, because the relevant structure in those languages is often quite unlike the SAE idea of relative clause. In the 2017 book cited in my earlier message, we used the expression “noun-modifying clause constructions” (“clausal noun-modifying constructions" might be better for some). I particularly do not use the term “relativisation” as it implies some sort of transformationalist view of grammar. The function of clausal noun modifiers is either to restrict the identification of the referent referred to (constrain the addressee’s inference of what referent the speaker intends to refer to) or to add extra information about a referent that is already unproblematically identifiable. In English these two functions have very different structural manifestations, but that isn’t true of all languages. I talk about the history of the development of these structures in Sino-Tibetan in several articles, including the two I mentioned.

Randy
-----
Randy J. LaPolla, PhD FAHA (羅仁地)
Professor of Linguistics, with courtesy appointment in Chinese, School of Humanities
Nanyang Technological University
HSS-03-45, 14 Nanyang Drive | Singapore 637332
http://randylapolla.net/ <http://randylapolla.net/>
Most recent books:
The Sino-Tibetan Languages, 2nd Edition (2017)
https://www.routledge.com/The-Sino-Tibetan-Languages-2nd-Edition/LaPolla-Thurgood/p/book/9781138783324 <https://www.routledge.com/The-Sino-Tibetan-Languages-2nd-Edition/LaPolla-Thurgood/p/book/9781138783324>
Sino-Tibetan Linguistics (2018)
https://www.routledge.com/Sino-Tibetan-Linguistics/LaPolla/p/book/9780415577397 <https://www.routledge.com/Sino-Tibetan-Linguistics/LaPolla/p/book/9780415577397>