[Lingtyp] Co-expression of future and past

Valenzuela, Pilar valenzuela at chapman.edu
Wed Dec 12 12:37:53 UTC 2018

Hi Lauren,

Similarly to Hindi, in Shipibo-Konibo (Panoan, Peru) the word bakish 'one day from today' translates as 'tomorrow' or 'yesterday.'

1) Ea=ra                   bakish                           ka-yat-ai.

     1.ABS=DIR.EV    one.day.from.today    go-tomorrow.FUT-IPFV

     'I will go tomorrow.'

2) Ea=ra                  bakish                           ka-iba-ke.

    1.ABS=DIR.EV    one.day.from.today   go-REC.PST-PFV

     'I went yesterday.'

Saludos,

Pilar