[Lingtyp] query: verbal diminutives

David Inman davinman at uw.edu
Sat Dec 15 07:01:57 UTC 2018

There are three ways of forming verbal diminutives in Nuuchahnulth (nuk),
depending somewhat on dialect: the suffix -ck̓in, of unknown origin, and
the suffix -t̓ana, which is mostly used in the northern dialects and is
transparently derived from the word for child t̓an̓a. The meanings are
identical as far as I know, with one form being swapped for the other as
you go dialect to dialect.

The diminutive can refer to doing something a little bit:
haʔuk - 'eat'
haʔukck̓in - 'eat a little bit'

mataa - 'fly'
mataat̓ana - 'fly a little bit' (above something)

It can also refer to doing something for a small amount of time:
šiiƛuk - 'move house'
šiiƛukck̓in - 'move for a little while'

And it can refer to extent:
hayumḥi - 'not know/forget'
hayumḥit̓ana - 'forget a little bit/not remember fully'

kʷiisḥin - 'be different'
kʷiisḥint̓ana - 'be a little different'

As is somewhat typical for Nuuchahnulth, these are not verbal-only
suffixes. I think(?) they go on all predicates, which includes nouns and
adjectives, and possibly adverbs though that appears less productive:
Adj: ʔiiḥ - 'big'
ʔiiḥck̓in - ’a little big’
ʔiiḥt̓ana - 'a little big'

Adj: wiwišʕaqƛ - 'unmotivated'
wiwišʕaqƛck̓in - 'a little unmotivated'

Noun: t̓an̓eʔis - ‘small child’
t̓an̓eʔisck̓in - ‘really young child’
(NB: t̓an̓eʔis is t̓an̓a 'child' + nominal diminutive =ʔis but must now be
relexicalized as a single word as there is a following suffix)

Adv: ƛaḥ - 'now'
ƛaḥck̓in - 'recent past'

David Inman
PhD Candidate