[Lingtyp] Body-part metaphors in different languages and lexical typology

piet lincoln linc at hawaii.rr.com
Wed Jul 18 21:05:34 UTC 2018

Dear Annika ol,

Indonesian is just the tip of the Austronesian family.

Blust (2009) THE AUSTRONESIAN LANGUAGES (Pac.Ling)  has a section on
"Body part terms and their extensions"

His entry for PMP *mata 'eye' goes way beyond  Mata Hari.

http://www.trussel2.com/acd/acd-s_m.htm#30830.

What about going the other way?

Body parts that are extensions of external objects

Banoni  /bughawa/  { < POc *buaq}  'betel nut'     and /bughawa-na/
'his kidney'

Banoni /dzaneghava/  'centipede'  and    //dzanegava-na/  'his adrenal
glands'

Banoni /dasoa/ 'mango'     and /dasoa-na/    'his spleen'

Alles jute,

Piet

Piet as an homage to Danish polymath, Piet Hein.