[Lingtyp] Temporal features?

David Gil gil at shh.mpg.de
Tue Oct 2 04:18:18 UTC 2018

Joseph (and others),

My work on this subject over the last decade or so has been strictly
bottom-up and inductive.  I did not embark on it in order to support
some kind of hypothesis relating complexity in the grammatical and
socio-political domains.  My interests were originally purely
descriptive/typological; my goals were to measure the degree to which
thematic roles were grammaticalized in different languages (the
description), and to try and relate this to other linguistic features
(the typology).  It was only when I was well into the project that I
noticed — to my surprise — that the degree of grammaticalization of
thematic roles, representing one aspect of grammatical complexity, seems
to correlate with "language size", big languages exhibiting greater
grammaticalization than smaller ones.  One of my focuses since that
realization was to try and define exactly what the factors were that
made a language "big" or "small".  At first I went with population size,
which worked kind of okay.  But then I wondered whether the relevant
factors may be more qualitative than quantitative — which took me to
Palauan: "small" in population size, but "big" as a language of a nation
state.  The results of the experiment pointed clearly towards the latter
hypothesis, namely that Palauan worked like a "big" language, i.e. it
was being a national language that counted, not simply the number of
speakers.  I am still working on trying to come up with the best
definition of socio-political complexity, which will be one satisfying
the following two criteria (a) it provides the best fit with the
experimental results, i.e. the best predictions with respect to the
degree of grammaticalization of thematic roles, and (b) it provides a
plausible basis for an causal account for why the correlation should
exist.  So far, a combination of national / minority language and
(within the latter) "greater social hierarchy" are the best I've been
able to come up with.  But if you can suggest a criterion other than
"greater social hierarchy" that does a better job, I'll happily consider it.

With regard to your second point, I am certainly not making claims about
"wholesale" or global grammatical complexity; I am only talking about
complexity with respect to one particular grammatical feature, albeit a
pretty central one, namely complexity of thematic role assignment, as
manifest in the extent to which different languages allow for varying
degrees of specification / underspecification of distinctions such as
agent/patient, core/oblique, and so forth.  This is why I do not
consider my results as being in contradiction to those of Trudgill,
Dahl, McWhorter, who argue — convincingly, to my mind — for an inverse
correlation between language size and complexity in other, quite
different grammatical domains.

David

--
David Gil

Department of Linguistic and Cultural Evolution
Max Planck Institute for the Science of Human History
Kahlaische Strasse 10, 07745 Jena, Germany

Email: gil at shh.mpg.de
Office Phone (Germany): +49-3641686834
Mobile Phone (Indonesia): +62-81281162816