[Lingtyp] Syncretism between forms encoding source and agent

Claude Hagège claude-hagege at wanadoo.fr
Tue Sep 25 10:31:13 UTC 2018

Dear Randy, dear David, dear all,

         To my knowledge, Mandarin由 (yóu) does not specifically mark the agent, but   the participant responsible for some situation or action, a participant who, thereby, acts as a source, as in

准备工作 由 我负责 (zhǔnbèi gōngzùo yóu wǒ fùzé) « the person responsible for the preparation work will be me ».

The Mandarin adposition which marks the agent is usually 被 (bèi) rather than 由 ((yóu). For example,

 他们没有 被 困难吓倒 (tāmen méiyǒu bèi  kùnnán xiàdăo « they have not been frightened away by difficulties ».

It is interesting to note that, contrary to the common Sino-Tibetan tendency by which actor and source use the same adposition, Mandarin does not, at least in its present literary usage. This situation leads us to ask whether the notions of source and actor are not actually, despite the frequent formal syncretism induced by the semantic kinship, distinct notions.

This suggestion could be borne out by Malay-Indonesian facts. According to David, « the use of dari to mark agents is characteristic of Eastern contact varieties of Malay. [He has]  heard it in, among other places, Papua, Halmahera, Ambon, Maluku Tenggara and Timor.  And it is also attested in the Kirinda subdialect of Sri Lankan Malay ».  This use, though not quite widespread,  is not unknown in Jakarta, in Bandung and in North-West Sumateran varieties of Indonesian. In  these varieties, the most frequent mark of agents is oleh, especially, but not only, after a passive verb, marked as such by the prefix di-. Interestingly, however, oleh and dari can both be used in certain constructions. For example, in Bandung, I have heard both

dia  tidak  mati  dari  penyakit

and

dia tidak mati oleh  penyakit,

both meaning, literally, « he is not dead because of illness ».

According to informants (to the extent that their judgments are reliable…), the use of oleh rather than dari in this context stresses the fat that illness is seen as a deciding factor, implicitly comparable to a human being in terms of efficacy (so to say !).

Thus, the differences between the notions of source and agent, although often treated the same way in many languages, deserve an indepth study.

All the best

Claude  (Collège de France, Paris, chaire de théorie linguistique)

(claude-hagege at wanadoo.fr)