[Lingtyp] Topic and focus markers with other functions

Martin Haspelmath haspelmath at shh.mpg.de
Sat Aug 3 05:44:46 UTC 2019

Eva's post raises the interesting general question whether markers that
occur under two necessary conditions should be said to mark both of
these simultaneously:

– Do Quechua markers like -mi or -si "mark" only evidentiality, or do
they also "mark" focus (because they always occur on the focused
constituent and thus serve to identify it)?

– Do ("optional") ergative markers in Jaminjung "mark" the nominal only
for ergative role, or do they also "mark" focus (because they are
generally restricted to focused nominals and thus serve to identify the
nominals as fucused)?

– Do case flags in "split" systems, like the preposition a+ in Spanish
(which is generally restricted to animate nominals), "mark" only the
syntactic role, or do they also "mark" animacy?

– Do plural markers that occur only when the nominal is definite or
animate only mark "plural", or do they also "mark" definiteness or
animacy? (This often happens in creole languages, see
https://apics-online.info/parameters/22.chapter.html)

Linguists often say that these markers have one "function", and the
other factor that plays a role in their occurrence is a "condition", but
I often find these difficult to distinguish. Couldn't one say
(conversely) that the Jaminjung nominal focus marker is restricted in
its distribution in that it only occurs when the nominal is a
(transitive) agent?

(In other words, couldn't one say that in cases of this sort, the marker
has two functions simultaneously? – Sorry, this is leading away from
Fritz Newmeyer's original post.)

Martin

--
Martin Haspelmath (haspelmath at shh.mpg.de)
Max Planck Institute for the Science of Human History