[Lingtyp] Cases of loss of goal markers

Prof. Dr. Thomas Stolz stolz at uni-bremen.de
Sat Jan 12 15:02:42 UTC 2019

  Dear all,

there is also our book on zero-marking of spatial relations in which
we survey cross-linguistic data from 112 languages which show that
Place and Goal are frequently affected by zero-marking - be it
obligatorily or optionally. More often than not  zero-marking of
spatial relations occurs with place names whereas common nouns lag
behind (somewhat). Our study is synchronic but it can be taken for
granted that some of the instances of zero-marking are diachronic
innovations.

The reference is

Stolz, Thomas & Lestrade, Sander & Stolz, Christel. 2014. /The
crosslingustics of zero-marking of spatial relations/ (= STTYP 15).
Berlin, Boston: De Gruyter Mouton. ISBN 978-3-05-006276-1

A follow-up study to our 2017 paper in Folia Linguistica will be
available shortly:

Stolz, Thomas & Levkovych, Nataliya. 2019. Toponomastics meets
linguistic typology: glimpses of Special Toponymic Grammar from
Aromanian and sundry languages. /Onomastica Uralica/ 11, 43-61.

We intend to continue our research in this area. Thus, comments are
always welcome.

All the best. Thomas Stolz

Prof. Dr. Thomas Stolz
University of Bremen