[Lingtyp] words, bound forms, welded forms

Martin Haspelmath haspelmath at shh.mpg.de
Mon Jan 28 20:03:19 UTC 2019

Mark's examples from Eton (Bantu) illustrating different kinds of
grammatical forms and rules remind us how complex languages can be --
thanks for this, Mark!

However, the reason I coined the new term "welded" was to have a term
that does not come with any kind of baggage, and it would defeat the
purpose to change the meaning that I proposed -- and note that my
definition explicitly excludes non-segmental interactions
(http://listserv.linguistlist.org/pipermail/lingtyp/2019-January/006929.html).
(I know that this may sound Eurocentric, but I admit that I'm not a tone
expert, and tonologists should feel free to coin whatever terms they need.)

We all have the intuition that there are degrees of "coalescence" or
"tightness of combination", but we cannot measure such degrees yet, so
most of the relevant literature remains vague and subjective.

In order to make headway here, we need to compare things that are
objectively comparable, not merely appering comparable on an intuitive
basis. Probably someone can eventually define a clear concept of
"attachedness" that combines segmental interaction and tonal
interaction, but my proposal was more modest. (I left out suprasegmental
criteria for the reasons mentioned by Adam Tallman.)

I don't know how best to compare tonal patterns, but I would insist that
we need a term (like "welded") for bound forms that show segmental
interaction, and also a term "form" that is limited to segment
sequences, because otherwise we cannot define "morph" and "root", some
of the most basic terms of comparative grammar. (Thus, a non-segmental
high tone pattern cannot be a "form", but must be something else.)

Sorry if such discussions sound boring, but I don't see an alternative
to precise terminology that is used uniformly across the discipline.

Best,
Martin