[Lingtyp] demonstratives - how (relatively) stable?

Jorge Rosés Labrada jrosesla at ualberta.ca
Mon Mar 11 13:15:20 UTC 2019

Dear Mark, dear everyone,

A recent article that may have what you are looking for is:

Vindenes, Urd. 2018. Cyclic renewal of demonstratives. *Studies in Language
*42:3, 641–668. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1075/sl.17047.vin

More general claims about the grammaticalization of demonstratives into
other parts of speech can be found in the work of Holger Diessel. There's
also a thread on this listserv from a year or so ago from Bernd Heine that
had a number of replies with useful sources about possible cases of the
genesis of demonstratives from other parts of speech.

Best,

Jorge
-------------
Jorge Emilio Rosés Labrada
Assistant Professor, Indigenous Language Sustainability
Chair, LSA Committee on Endangered Languages and their Preservation
<https://www.linguisticsociety.org/about/who-we-are/committees/endangered-languages-and-their-preservation-celp>

4-22 Assiniboia Hall
Department of Linguistics, University of Alberta
Tel: (+1) 780-492-5698
Email: jrosesla at ualberta.ca

*The University of Alberta acknowledges that we are located on Treaty 6
territory, **and respects the history, languages, and cultures of the First
Nations, Métis, Inuit, *
*and all First Peoples of Canada, whose presence continues to enrich our
institution.*