[Lingtyp] demonstratives - how (relatively) stable?

Joo Ian ian.joo at outlook.com
Mon Mar 11 05:46:24 UTC 2019

Dear Mark,

In fact the attached studies shows that deictic systems tend to be iconic (high F2 for proximal, low F2 for distal), and when deictic terms are de-iconizied due to regular sound change, they are constantly reconstructed in order to fit into the iconic schema.
For example Portuguese aquele was derived from the combination of the prefix accu and the Latin distal demonstrative ill- which, the study argues, was motivated by the low F2 of the vowel of accu.
So deictic demonstratives are a good example of iconicity motivating sound and meaning change.

>From Daejeon,
Ian Joo
http://ianjoo.academia.edu