[Lingtyp] passive and tense

Abdelkader fassi fehri abdelkaderfassifehri at gmail.com
Sat Nov 9 13:19:37 UTC 2019

I have not received either the original message by Sergey.
It would be interesting to compare the situation you describe with that
found in Arabic varieties, taking into account the different uses of the
'present' verbal passive as impersonal, middle, etc. more often than the
'past' form.
Some qualifications are found in my article
Arabic Silent Pronouns, Person, and Voice, *Brill’s Annual of Afroasiatic
Languages and Linguistics* 1 (2009) 3–40
Best,
Abdelkader

Le ven. 8 nov. 2019 à 18:33, Haspelmath, Martin <haspelmath at shh.mpg.de> a
écrit :

> Yes, I found this discussed by Comrie in 1981, and discussed it myself in
> 1994:
>
> Comrie, Bernard. 1981. Aspect and voice: Some reflections on perfect and
> passive. In Philip J. Tedeschi & Annie Zaenen (eds.), *Tense and aspect*
> (Syntax and Semantics 14), 65–78. New York: Academic Press.
> Haspelmath, Martin. 1994. Passive participles across languages. In Barbara
> Fox & Paul J. Hopper (eds.), *Voice: Form and function* (Typological
> Studies in Language), 151–177. Amsterdam: Benjamins.
> doi:10.1075/tsl.27.08has
> <http://doi.org/10.1075/tsl.27.08has,%0D%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20https://zenodo.org/record/227097>.
> (https://zenodo.org/record/227097
> <http://doi.org/10.1075/tsl.27.08has,%0D%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20https://zenodo.org/record/227097>
> )
>
> But there must be more recent work about this as well.
>
> Best,
> Martin
>
> On 08.11.19 18:19, Sergey Lyosov wrote:
>
>  Dear colleagues
>
> Working with corpora of certain Semitic languages, I noticed that passive
> verb forms are much more frequent in the past tenses than in present and
> future tenses. This is also my impression of various languages with which I
> am familiar but have not studied their verbal systems. Does such
> cross-linguistic feature exist? If yes, how do we explain it?
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Sergey
>

> --
> Martin Haspelmath (haspelmath at shh.mpg.de)
> Max Planck Institute for the Science of Human History
> Kahlaische Strasse 10
> D-07745 Jena
> &
> Leipzig University