[Lingtyp] Differential inalienable marking

Don Daniels don.r.daniels at gmail.com
Thu Oct 10 16:23:55 UTC 2019

Hi Laura,

In several Sogeram languages (related to Amele, which was mentioned above),
kin terms take an obligatory inalienable possession prefix that marks the
person (but not the number) of the possessor. There is often lexically
conditioned allomorphy of the prefix. Here are some examples from the Sirva
language, where the predominant pattern is *a-* '1.POSS', *na- *'2.POSS',
*nɨ-* '3.POSS':

sister of male ego:
*a-rɨma *'1.POSS-sister'
*na-rɨma* '2.POSS-sister'
*nɨ-rɨma* '3.POSS-sister'

father's sister:
*a-saŋam* '1.POSS-aunt'
*na-saŋam* '2.POSS-aunt'
*nɨ-saŋam* '3.POSS-aunt'

Some words take a different allomorph of the 1.POSS prefix (*i-*) and/or of
the 3.POSS prefix (*nu-*)*.*

son-in-law:
*i-num*
*na-num*
*nu-num*

Many words take a suppletive form for the 1.POSS (there are probably more
of these than there are examples of the regular pattern, but I haven't
counted):
same-sex younger sibling:
*isɨha*
*na-rah*
*nɨ-rah*

nibling (nephew or niece):
*wema*
*na-mugu*
*nɨ-mugu*

grandfather:
*tata*
*na-sɨi*
*nɨ-sɨi*

There is an extra layer of complexity with suppletive 1.POSS forms. Kin
terms are a syntactically distinct subclass of nouns that can host certain
clitics that common nouns can't. Sometimes, the suppletive 1.POSS form is a
syntactic kin term (ie, it can host those clitics), and sometimes it isn't
(ie, it can't host the clitics). For the three examples above, the 1.POSS
form is syntactically a kin term. For the three below, it isn't.
husband:
*kura* (lit. 'man')
*na-muŋ*
*nu-muŋ*

wife:
*amge* (lit. 'woman')
*na-nabrɨ*
*(Ø-)nabrɨ*

son:
*ña*
*na-hus*
*nu-hus*

Sometimes the 3.POSS form is also suppletive, although these forms are
always closely related to the basic root shape, and can sometimes be
analyzed as having a zero 3.POSS prefix. (As with 'wife' above.)
daughter-in-law:
*i-nabas*
*na-nabas*
*nɨbas*

daughter:
*ñabɨña*
*na-nawad*
*(Ø-)nawad*

Finally, there's one kin term that has three suppletive roots:
father
*yava* 'father.1.POSS'
*naŋidi* 'father.2.POSS'
*nua* 'father.3.POSS'