[Lingtyp] Morpheme or X0 "extraction"

Adam James Ross Tallman ajrtallman at utexas.edu
Wed Aug 26 11:49:04 UTC 2020

Hello all,

I am wondering if anyone has found examples where single morphemes can
extract to first position. It is well-known that German can do this as in

*Gelungen ist hier selten wem was auf anhieb*
succeeded is here rarely somebody.DAT something.NOM on first.attempt
'that it was rarely the case that somebody succeeded in doing something
here on the first attempt'

For some reason the full VP cannot extract (**Wem gelunden ist hier selten
was auf anhieb*). You can modify the fronted verb with an adverb *so gut *and
apparently its grammatical (Bruening 2018)

In Chácobo one can "extract" individual adverbial elements, but as far as I
can tell only one of these elements can be "extracted" at a time.

*tsaya=yama=kɨ*
see=neg=dec:past
*yama tsaya=kɨ*
*neg*   see=dec:past
's/he didn't see it.'

I wonder if there are cases like Chacobo or like German except where the
verb cannot be modified by some element that is also fronted. Just
instances of apparently non-phrasal (word, root or stem) extraction would
also be interesting.

p.s. I don't exactly know what extraction means all the time. In particular
I'm not sure on what basis we can always assume that one sentence is
derived from the other. For instance, in Chacobo I don't know on what basis
I would assume that the verb is not in fact undergoing rightward extraction.

best,

Adam

--
Adam J.R. Tallman