[Lingtyp] “Rear=North” in Mainland Northeast Asia

Johanna Mattissen Johanna.Mattissen at uni-koeln.de
Sat Dec 26 14:35:35 UTC 2020

Dear all,

> It would be interesting to know whether the relationship between
> 'back' and 'north' is mainly restricted to languages spoken in the far
> north of the globe.
Various orientation systems have been described by the Nijmegen project
group and Ozanne-Rivierre and where orientation is with respect to
landmarks like mountains and rivers or to winds, cardinal directions are
seen from the respective viewpoint. In Hupa, North and downstream are
the same direction.
West Greenlanders face the sea for their orientation system with the
mountains in their back, so North and right are the same direction (cf.
demonstrative system).
As for Mainland NE Asia directions may be oriented at and/or calqued
from China as the dominant power of the region.
The Nivkh (Lower Amur and Sakhalin island) have /ari /'north wind' and
j-ari-d ~ jəri-d’ 'follow s.o./s.th.' besides 'side wind' and 'onshore
(south) wind' (otherwise the orientation system is based on the Amur
river and the mountains or the sea).

Best,
Johanna