[Lingtyp] count nouns & mass nouns

fcosw5 fcosw5 at scu.edu.tw
Fri Feb 14 03:55:03 UTC 2020

Dear Paolo,

Yes; this is just like saying `Many waters cannot quench love'.  As i point out to the students in my course on English syntax, in English the distinction between `count nouns' and `mass nouns' is fundamental -- but what are normally mass nouns can be used/treated as count nouns in exceptional cases.

Best,
Steven