[Lingtyp] coronavirus and Zipf

Maria Koptjevskaja Tamm tamm at ling.su.se
Sat May 2 19:06:50 UTC 2020

Sasha, I am not quite sure I understand your mention of “Digerdöden”: do you want to say that Swedish uses the same term for illnesses and epidemics? I don’t think this is completely true right now. The more official name for the virus is “coronavirus”, while “corona” is definitely the preferred term in Colloquial Swedish.  The current pandemics is normally called “coronapandemin” ‘corona+pandemics+DEF.SG”, and there are many more compounds based on “corona”: “coronacrisen” ’the corona crisis”, “coronatiden” ’the corona time’,”coronapatienter” ‘corona patients’, etc.

Best,
Maria

Prof. Maria Koptjevskaja Tamm
Dept. of linguistics, Stockholm university, 106 91, Stockholm, Sweden
tel.: +46-8-16 26 20 (office)
www.ling.su.se/tamm<http://www.ling.su.se/tamm>
tamm at ling.su.se