[Lingtyp] semantic derivation of an Akkadian verb

Les Bruce les_bruce at sil.org
Thu Nov 5 20:42:54 UTC 2020

Bastian,

You make a worthy point. Finding a common thread, or generic component of
meaning is most relevant for identifying one, generic meaning for different
uses in different contexts. To do a more rigorous semantic analysis
requires steps like contrasting sets of collocations for each meaning. An
analogy to a common concept can show how semantic extension may have
developed in a system of polysemy. Where there is no common thread we must
consider if different uses of the word involve homophony rather than
polysemy.

For those who know the Akkadian lexicon, are there other lexical words that
show similar ranges of meaning, maybe based on the same analogy to a
general semantic feature?

Les