[Lingtyp] From causal to complement markers

Jess Tauber tetrahedralpt at gmail.com
Sat Sep 26 18:04:12 UTC 2020

In Yahgan (genetic isolate, Tierra del Fuego), the free verb a:kina  (colon
marks tenseness of vowel preceding it, -na is a verbalizer) means 'do,
make, work'. Suffixes -a, -a:ki are multifunctional. One use is as
instrumental, another marks result of some action. -da/ -da:gi mark 'like
X'. Then there is verb suffix -da:gia 'because, as' as well as free form
tasaia, ta:saia 'as, like, in the same way as'.  And suffix -ata marks
Aktsionsart, especially semelfactive (the start or ending of some action).
All these forms seem to be historically interrelated, but there is no way
to surely do an internal reconstruction currently.

Jess Tauber