[Lingtyp] ***UNCHECKED*** Re: NP + PP construction

Mark Donohue mhdonohue at gmail.com
Sun Sep 27 06:15:46 UTC 2020

Adding to Alex's post, really, any language that doesn't require a verb in
an equative clause is probably going to allow this.

Some other Austronesian (but non-Oceanic) examples

*No really obviously elided verb:*
*Indonesian*
Saya di kampung.
1SG  LOC village
'I'm in the village.'

*Tukang Besi*
Te ikami kua wunua-su?
CORE 1PA ALL house-1SG.GEN
'(Shall) we (go) to my house?'

*Possibly elided verb:*
*Indonesia*
Mau ke mana?
want ALL where
'Where (do) you want (to go)?'

*Tukang Besi*
Ke iaku na doe-'u!
COM 1SG NOM money-2SG.GEN
'(Give) your money (to) me!'

And, of course, given the polysemy between 'be.at' verbs and locational
adpositions,

*Mandarin*
他们 在 房子里
tamen zai fangzi-li
3PL be.at/LOC house-inside
'They're in the house.'

compare with the same zai in:

他们在房子里吃饭
tamen zai fangzi-li chi fan
3PL LOC? house-inside eat rice
'They're eating in the house.'

For clues about other languages to examine, a close approximation will be

https://wals.info/feature/120A?v1=cfff&v2=c00d#1/18/154

It seems it's ~ half the languages of the world.

-Mark