[Lingtyp] From causal to complement markers

Jussi Ylikoski jussi.ylikoski at oulu.fi
Mon Sep 28 17:57:11 UTC 2020

Dear Rodrigo,

As stated by the most comprehensive descriptive grammar of Finnish (http://scripta.kotus.fi/visk/sisallys.php?p=1151, in Finnish), kun clauses occur as object-like (complement) clauses (mainly) with verbs of remembering and perception, especially with the verbs muistaa 'remember' and nähdä 'see', and these clauses may often also be interpreted as adverbial clauses (e.g., I remember that (or: the time when) you did it; I saw that you did it).

I don't think that kun can be used with utterance predicates, but as for cognitition predicates, it depends on what counts as cognition. If verbs for 'remember' (muistaa), 'wonder; be surprised' (ihmetellä in our example) are not cognitition verbs, perhaps ymmärtää 'understand' is? According to my intuition, (3) sounds pretty natural as well:

(3) Mä  ymmärrän,       että/kun ne  lähtee näin aikaisin.
    1SG understand.1SG  COMP/kun 3PL go.3   this early
    'I understand that they go out (this) early.'

On the other hand, it appears to me that verbs for 'think' and 'know' do not take kun clauses as their complements, only those with että.

Best regards,

Jussi