[Lingtyp] From causal to complement markers

Denys T. denys.teptiuk at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 11:49:56 UTC 2020

Dear all,

Just a brief comment to Jussi’s examples. I guess, the development there is temporal > reason/cause. I have found similar stuff in English (1) [a bit arguable example, but still] and in Estonian (2) where a bit different temporal conjunction kuna ‘while’ is used. However, I am not sure that in Estonian kuna can be used as general complementizer. But in general, it seems that temporal > cause/reason is a cross-linguistically quite frequent development (see Heine & Kuteva 2002: 291, "temporal > cause” entry & “since (temporal) > cause”, ibid: 275).

(1) The driver of one of the buses was shot dead when he allegedly recognised one of the dacoits (enTenTen15)

(2)	Itaalias	saavutas			Birgitta	suure	populaarsuse,	kuna	väidetavalt	tegi			ta	mitmeid			imetegusid	ja	aitas			vaeseid.
	Italy.ine	achieve.pst.3sg	pn		big.gen	popularity.gen	while	allegedly		do.pst.3sg	3sg	a.number.of.pl.par	miracle.pl.par	and	help.pst.3sg	poor.pl.par
	‘In Italy Birgitta achieved huge popularity since allegedly she did a number of miracles and helped poor.’ (enTenTen13)

Best wishes from Tartu,
Denys Teptiuk