[Lingtyp] Numeral 'one' and 'as soon as'

Jesus Francisco Olguin Martinez olguinmartinez at ucsb.edu
Thu Apr 1 05:33:17 UTC 2021

Dear all,

Sorry for not having been clearer in my previous email.

Yes, English 'once' is used in this way :)

I did not mention English and other European languages  because in Mandarin
and the other Hmong-Mien languages I mentioned before, the second clause
appears with another linker (lit. *on(c)e*........'(*and*) *then*').
Accordingly, these languages show some sort of correlative construction.
Based on the languages of the sample, this usage of 'on(c)e' in a
correlative construction is not common cross-linguistically. It seems that
Hmong-Mien languages have copied this strategy with native material from
Mandarin. This is some sort of 'pattern replication'. I was expecting to
receive more answers concerned with languages spoken in this area in
order to see if these languages have also copied this pattern from Mandarin.

Thank you in advance.

Best,