[Lingtyp] Numeral 'one' and 'as soon as'

MM Jocelyne Fernandez mmjocelynefern at gmail.com
Fri Apr 2 05:04:11 UTC 2021

As I remarked above, the French "une fois (que)" is not the equivalent
of "dès que" (/as soon as)/: it has a temporal meaning that emphasizes
the relation of succession between two actions, but implies neither
immediacy nor cause, rather a sense of completeness of the (temporally
but not syntactically) first action.

     - Tu m'appelles une fois (que tu seras) rentré!

         "(You'll) call me once you're home!"

     ≠ - Tu m'appelles dès que tu seras rentré!"

Maybe the same connotations can be found in the Russian construction?

     MMJocelyne Fernandez-Vest

Prof. M.M.Jocelyne FERNANDEZ-VEST
CNRS & Université Sorbonne Nouvelle