[Lingtyp] Numeral 'one' and 'as soon as'

paolo Ramat paolo.ramat at unipv.it
Fri Apr 2 08:37:03 UTC 2021

The same as French *une fois que,* It.* una volta che *underlines the
temporal succession of two events: *una volta che avrai finito il libro mi
dirai cosa ne pensi "*once you'll finish reading the book  you'll tell me
how you feel about it". This does not imply an immediate reaction and u*na
volta* *che *is more or less equivalent to *quando: Quando avrai finito *etc
*. *Immediate reaction is expressed by *appena (che): appena (che) avrai
finito *etc*. = dès que tu *etc*.  (= as soon as you...). *At any rate,
both *una volta che *and *appena (che) *introduce a correlated
construction  as in the Hmong-Mien languages.

Best,
Paolo

prof. dr. Paolo Ramat
 Università di Pavia (retired)
Istituto Universitario Studi Superiori (IUSS Pavia) (retired)
Accademia dei Lincei, Socio corrispondente
'Academia Europaea'
'Societas Linguistica Europaea', Honorary Member
piazzetta Arduino 11 - I 27100 Pavia
##39 0382 27027
347 044 98 44