[Lingtyp] Morphologically complex clitics?

Adam James Ross Tallman ajrtallman at utexas.edu
Mon Apr 5 11:19:27 UTC 2021

Dear Florian *inter alia,*

It's never really clear to me whether with questions like these, we are
asking:

1. Are there descriptions which posit such things (i.e. use a
terminological framework that allow them to "exist" and then describe them
as "existing")?

2. Is there a thing like this in the language (regardless of the
terminological framework because all of the relevant notions have obvious
cross-linguistically applicable diagnostics / criteria)?

For 1, note that for some authors (like Stephen Anderson, circa 2005)
morphologically complex clitics seem to be logically impossible. Clitics
are either syntactic elements that integrate into (post-lexical)
phonological structure (simple/phonological clitics) or else they are
morphological elements themselves that operate over phrases. Since they are
supposed to be realizational elements themselves, it's hard to even imagine
a morphologically complex clitic being something that's allowed.

*Is Anderson making an empirical claim about the absence of morphologically
complex clitics cross-linguistically?* I don't think so. They are just
ruled out on terminological / theoretical grounds. I assume the Luganda
case would just be analyzed as a string of clitics - where their place in
the grammar would be (as post-lexical phonological integration or
post-lexical /phrase level placement or both) determined, would then depend
on what you meant by "normal syntax".

In terms of 'phonologically leaning' ... according to which phonological
process (if any)? You can always vacuously phonologically lean into an
utterance/intonational phrase. In much prosodic phonology, an element can
be categorized,tautologically as phonologically leaning just because it
surfaces at all (it would integrate into an intonational phrase (that need
only be identified by pause breaks), or an empirically vacuous layer of the
prosodic hierarchy). So for some linguists, this just isn't a meaningful
empirical question at all. Not that it's not interesting, we just have to
know a lot more about how one goes about establishing the bridging
principles between notions like g-word and p-word and the actual language
data.

If the question is - *can *such structural classifications exist. Well,
yeah. You just have to choose definitions of '=' and '-' such that a
morphologically complex clitic falls out. For instance, in Chacobo there's
this punctual morpheme *=/-tápi. *It allows some variable ordering with
"suffixes" and "clitics" in the verb complex - it could be categorized as
either an affix or clitic depending on what criteria you use. When the verb
complex occurs with an associated motion morpheme, *=/-tapi *happens to
have a fixed position after the AM morpheme and it happens to modify the
motion action. *SO*, just choose a definition of g-word that makes *-tapi *an
affix and the AM morphemes simple clitics. And voilà, you have a
morphologically complex clitic. Is this an example of a morphologically
complex clitic? If you want it to be, yes.

Thus, it's hard to know how 2 is being addressed in any of the discussions,
because '=' and '-' are not defined. So implicitly people are responding to
1. Which is fine, it's always informative to know how much terminological
variation there is in the field, but it's harder to interpret what it all
means.

best,

Adam

Adam J.R. Tallman