[Lingtyp] Query: Elided Intensification

Guillaume Segerer guillaume.segerer at cnrs.fr
Mon Apr 12 07:57:32 UTC 2021

Dear all

In Joola (Niger-Congo, Atlantic, Keeraak variety), */nɔɔn/* means 'as'
or 'like', as in the following examples :

/dɔmɔ fʊtɛm *nɔɔn* wah warɛɛmɛ/
COP.IMPERS smell.IMPERF 'as' thing has-burnt
'it smells as if something has burnt' (French: 'ça sent comme si quelque
chose avait brûlé')

/hʊkɛn ɩnjɛ ɩ-cɔkɔm barɛ i-sim *nɔɔn* ɛbɔɔs
/yesterday I 1sg-wound.PERF but 1sg-bleed 'like' cow
'Yesterday I got wounded and I bleeded like a cow' (French 'hier je me
suis blessé et j'ai saigné comme une vache')

It may also be used as an intensifier :

/sɩnaŋas si-suum-e *nɔɔn*/
cooked_rice AGR-be.good-PERF /*nɔɔn*/
'the rice is very good'

/na-cab-ɛ nɔɔn ɛɬakɛnay/
3sg-do.quickly-PERF /*nɔɔn*/ INF.cook
He did the cooking very quickly

/nʊ-ŋəmi-e *nɔɔn* jabajɔɔraj jala di baɲɩɩlab/
2sg-love-PERF /*nɔɔn*/ INF.scold of at children
'you really love to scold children'

In Joola, qualities are mostly expressed by verbs. As can be seen in the
above examples, /*nɔɔn*/ always appears after verbs, and I have no
counterexample (but the number of examples is not that high...). These
constructions may be considered as 'elided', since they may often
(always ?) be completed by the word /*bəjəəm*/, for which none of my
consultants could provide a translation... (this reminds me of the
French expression 'comme tout' in 'il est gentil comme tout') :
/suum-e *nɔɔn* ~ suum-e *nɔɔn bəjəəm*/
IMPERS.be.good-PERF /*nɔɔn*/ ~ IMPERS.be.good-PERF /as/ ????
'it is very good'

Unfortunately, my knowledge of the language does not allow me to be more
precise. I still hope this may help.

Guillaume